Chat Feature Requests...

Do you think Milovana.com is perfect in every way? Hopefully not, so what can we do to improve? Every idea, suggestion or criticism is highly appreciated.
DoxysTurtle
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Submissive

Chat Feature Requests...

Post by DoxysTurtle »

So there is a forum post already about some of the features we plan to offer in the new chat system, as we get things setup and debugged... Please See:
http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9007

If there's other features users' have always wanted or find interesting please let us know :)
Our new chat platform has a lot of possibilities, and we'd love to hear from you about what you'd like to see...
7in
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Switch

Re: Chat Feature Requests...

Post by 7in »

I think if we can have multi user chat tabs. Group PM. We could basically set up or own rooms without leaving the lounge completely. This seems more flexible to me and would provide more options than having standardized separate rooms. Particularly if there could be different rules for access invite from mod/invite from all/public/ maybe one were you apply and it gets voted. also speel chuck would be good.
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Banquo »

Ok So I have been asked by seraph to post a list of wants in this section.

Here is a list of features I think we need, in order of urgency / preference.
  • Sounds

I think we really need a notification sound for when a message arrives in the public chat. I guess you don't realise these small things when you have them but without it I find it impossible to be comfortable in chat.

Chat can often be slow moving, especially at the times of day I log on. So mostly I wont be looking at it. But in flashchat there would be a sound when someone entered and when someone spoke. So I could be browsing other things and still be logged in without fear of missing messages.

"A voice is a human gift; it should be cherished and used, to utter fully human speech as possible. Powerlessness and silence go together."
    Margaret Atwood
  • Fonts

One of the great thing about the old chat was the amount of individuality you could put into your posts...colour, style, size, etc. The current chats blandness stems from it's monochrome mono style nature. Milo should be a place that celebrates the individuality of it's users, and this is not reflected in the current chat.
  • Directed Public Message

I am not talking about whispers, I found that a very flawed way of sending a PM lol, however a directed message publicly was very useful. Especially during scenes, it can be awkward and more than a little distracting when a message clearly meant for your Domme or your sub is replied to by someone else.
  • Pictures

Again a wonderful feature was the ability to share pictures by uploading them.
  • A public log of the chat rooms.
    I used to find this so useful, when someone would say "ooh there was a great scene earlier on" or "you missed a discussion about so and so" I would be able to go read it in the logs.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
DoxysTurtle
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by DoxysTurtle »

Banquo wrote:Ok So I have been asked by seraph to post a list of wants in this section.

Here is a list of features I think we need, in order of urgency / preference.

[*]Sounds
Spoiler: show
I think we really need a notification sound for when a message arrives in the public chat. I guess you don't realise these small things when you have them but without it I find it impossible to be comfortable in chat.

Chat can often be slow moving, especially at the times of day I log on. So mostly I wont be looking at it. But in flashchat there would be a sound when someone entered and when someone spoke. So I could be browsing other things and still be logged in without fear of missing messages.

"A voice is a human gift; it should be cherished and used, to utter fully human speech as possible. Powerlessness and silence go together."
Margaret Atwood
[*]Fonts
One of the great thing about the old chat was the amount of individuality you could put into your posts...colour, style, size, etc. The current chats blandness stems from it's monochrome mono style nature. Milo should be a place that celebrates the individuality of it's users, and this is not reflected in the current chat.
[*]Directed Public Message
I am not talking about whispers, I found that a very flawed way of sending a PM lol, however a directed message publicly was very useful. Especially during scenes, it can be awkward and more than a little distracting when a message clearly meant for your Domme or your sub is replied to by someone else.
[*]Pictures
Again a wonderful feature was the ability to share pictures by uploading them.
[*]A public log of the chat rooms.
I used to find this so useful, when someone would say "ooh there was a great scene earlier on" or "you missed a discussion about so and so" I would be able to go read it in the logs. [/list]
Banquo,

Feel free to take a look at http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic ... 54#p120554 and let me know if I need to expand / explain on the reasoning about anything more about the items on your list outside of the Public logs.

Public Logs: Are a very tricky and debated issue. Our current software allows a private archive available solely to the admins of chat, namely Mistress Jenifer (head of chat), anyone on the Milovana Team (JP and Seraph0x come to mind), and atm I also am on that list because I'm working on the chat software, which if/when that role ends, so will my access.

The decision about public logs isn't a decision I was involved in for whether or not they are going to exist. I will be asking someone better informed / involved to respond to this... The simple answer was there were issues on multiple fronts with having them, and so for the current time they aren't going to be opened to anyone outside of administration.
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Banquo »

DoxysTurtle wrote: The decision about public logs isn't a decision I was involved in for whether or not they are going to exist. I will be asking someone better informed / involved to respond to this... The simple answer was there were issues on multiple fronts with having them, and so for the current time they aren't going to be opened to anyone outside of administration.
I look forward to a response from Seraph on this.

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Banquo wrote:I look forward to a response from Seraph on this.
I'm the wrong guy to ask, chat rules etc. are up to Jen. Note that public logs will be something we have to specifically implement, so even if Jen gives the green light, we'll likely work on some of the other features first, depending on what people consider to be most urgent.
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Banquo »

seraph0x wrote:
I'm the wrong guy to ask, chat rules etc. are up to Jen. Note that public logs will be something we have to specifically implement, so even if Jen gives the green light, we'll likely work on some of the other features first, depending on what people consider to be most urgent.
*smiles* then I look forward to an answer from Jen, though I am not sure she checks the forums that much so would someone give her a poke when they see her chat please?

And of course, a working and usable chat is a higher priority than logs. Though unless there is some technical reason I can't think of a logical reason to withhold this feature. In fact in the UK it would be a legal requirement that you provide this information on request anyway. Just FYI.

Banquo
:fez:

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
DoxysTurtle
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by DoxysTurtle »

Banquo wrote:
seraph0x wrote:
*smiles* then I look forward to an answer from Jen, though I am not sure she checks the forums that much so would someone give her a poke when they see her chat please?

And of course, a working and usable chat is a higher priority than logs. Though unless there is some technical reason I can't think of a logical reason to withhold this feature. In fact in the UK it would be a legal requirement that you provide this information on request anyway. Just FYI.

Banquo
:fez:
I let her know and gave her a link, so I'm sure she'll respond when she has a chance...
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Banquo »

*looks at pocket watch for a second and sighs*

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Banquo »

Just out of curiosity rather than anything else, will users have the options of being "away" or "busy" eventually?

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
freshman
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious

Post by freshman »

And what about webcams? Any plans?
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Banquo wrote:Just out of curiosity rather than anything else, will users have the options of being "away" or "busy" eventually?
Given that XMPP was originally made for instant messaging it has pretty elaborate support for that kind of thing, so I'd say that's a definite possibility if users ask for it.
freshman wrote:And what about webcams? Any plans?
Webcam chats are normally relatively taxing on the server, however there is a Flash peer-to-peer solution called Cirrus. With that you can have a video chat that bypasses the server completely. We'll look into using that, but it's relatively speaking one of the more difficult features to implement.