Tease navigation

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
cymerc
Explorer
Explorer

Tease navigation

Post by cymerc »

Great site, and many thanks to all who run/support it!

One thing that's kind of quirky, and it may be my browser (Firefox) -- let's say you're browsing a tease listed on Page 6. You start it, and then decide "no, that's not for me."

If you back-click to the tease index, you're back on Page 1 of the index, and not Page 6 where you started from. So you have to manually go back to Page 6 to continue your index browsing where you left off.

Is that just a browser quirk or is that the normal function of the site? It's not a show-stopper, just a curiosity, really.

Anyway, just wondering. Keep up the great work, all!
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Preservation of state is hard to do with AJAX. Yes, what you describe is normal and should be the same in every browser.

But of course I realize that it's not what a user would expect. I'll improve it as soon as I get around to it. I wasn't able to do much for the site lately. :-/
maymay
Explorer
Explorer

Post by maymay »

seraph0x wrote:Preservation of state is hard to do with AJAX. Yes, what you describe is normal and should be the same in every browser.
Not to be a bubble burster (bubble burster? I meant to type; not to burst your bubble, but that's too funny to remove), but is Ajax really necessary for a list of that nature? I feel like it would almost be even better if it was simpler and you just had it page normally.

I think AJAX has great potential for things like in-tease effects. If you can find some way of safely letting authors who are familiar with the technology or maybe create a tool for some basic effects to submit teases with AJAX-like animations or puzzles or games or something, that would be incredibly cool and probably an evolutionary next step as far as web teases go.

But AJAX on a simple list seems like overkill, to me.

Again, just my two cents. I love the site and think you're doing an incredible job. Keep it up!!
cymerc
Explorer
Explorer

Post by cymerc »

seraph0x wrote:Preservation of state is hard to do with AJAX. Yes, what you describe is normal and should be the same in every browser.

But of course I realize that it's not what a user would expect. I'll improve it as soon as I get around to it. I wasn't able to do much for the site lately. :-/
No worries, mate -- as I said, you've done a fantastic (fantastical, even) job thus far, and my thanks to you and your volunteer team here!
bondageslave36
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by bondageslave36 »

What about having the tease open in a new window. Possibly a fullscreen window. When you finish a tease and vote or click "close this window", it will close it and go back to the page behind it... the tease browser.
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

maymay wrote:Not to be a bubble burster (bubble burster? I meant to type; not to burst your bubble, but that's too funny to remove), but is Ajax really necessary for a list of that nature? I feel like it would almost be even better if it was simpler and you just had it page normally.
Well, it does save us 2 GB of traffic each month. (The tease browser is the most visited page right now.) Also, it doesn't hurt anybody as it degrades nicely for those who haven't activated Javascript.

As for the history problem: It's a question of time until we're going to fix this.
maymay wrote:I think AJAX has great potential for things like in-tease effects. If you can find some way of safely letting authors who are familiar with the technology or maybe create a tool for some basic effects to submit teases with AJAX-like animations or puzzles or games or something, that would be incredibly cool and probably an evolutionary next step as far as web teases go.
AJAX-like animations? I think you are confusing AJAX with plain old JavaScript. AJAX is a way to send data back and forth between server and client.

As for your idea: Well, I'm still torn between an evolutionary step forward, i.e. fancy, scripted, animated webteases and the revolutionary step forward, i.e. the secret project. Hmm, I'll take the balanced approach and make a few steps with the regular webteases to test the waters and then take the final leap towards the secret project.
maymay wrote:But AJAX on a simple list seems like overkill, to me.
Overkill? :-O A list with dynamic content is as typical as it gets as far as use cases for AJAX go. :-)
maymay wrote:Again, just my two cents. I love the site and think you're doing an incredible job. Keep it up!!
Thanks for your input. I don't have to agree in order to appreciate a thoughtful opinion! :smile: :thumbsup:
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

bondageslave36 wrote:What about having the tease open in a new window. Possibly a fullscreen window. When you finish a tease and vote or click "close this window", it will close it and go back to the page behind it... the tease browser.
A javascript popup that goes fullscreen? Hmm, it would be a quick solution. But you can also just hold SHIFT to open the tease in a new window. That's what I would suggest until the history button is fixed and the flashy new tease viewer that I've been postponing for a month comes out. ;-)