[EOS/DEMO] Animation Quality Test

All about the past, current and future webteases and the art of webteasing in general.
---
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

[EOS/DEMO] Animation Quality Test

Post by fapnip »

Without using things like OpenEOS, Animated GIFs and videos simply aren't possible in Eos. But, as a few teases have done in the past, you can kinda simulate animated GIFs in Eos by chaining a bunch of images together. Unfortunately they don't really play smooth, and are a royal pain to put together.

Here's a tease I generated with a tool that tries its best to play pseudo animations smoothly in plain-old Eos:
https://milovana.com/webteases/showtease.php?id=53783

Please give it a shot, let me know what works/doesn't work, and any other thoughts you may have.
Spoiler: show
There's a little reward for testing it thoroughly. Blake will know when you do.
Edit:
Here is the tool used for creating the animations in this demo:
https://codepen.io/fapnip/full/abLOyPE

If you need help, you can try me by Private Message (I won't be checking often), or maybe someone on the forums will be kind enough to help you out. (I will not be contributing in the forums any longer.)

Many thanks to all of you that helped test and offered feedback. Sorry this all ended so abruptly.

And for the fun of it, here's a little Eos tease hack using a real animated gif -- but is basically useless for any author wanting to publish a tease with it.
Last edited by fapnip on Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hopper725
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: [EOS/DEMO] Animation Test

Post by Hopper725 »

fapnip wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:22 am Without using things like OpenEOS, Animated GIFs and videos simply aren't possible in Eos. But, as a few teases have done in the past, you can kinda simulate animated GIFs in Eos by chaining a bunch of images together. Unfortunately they don't really play smooth, and are a royal pain to put together.

Here's a tease I generated with a tool that tries its best to play pseudo animations smoothly in plain-old Eos:
https://milovana.com/webteases/showteas ... d23fca7f14

Please give it a shot, let me know what works/doesn't work, and any other thoughts you may have.
There's a little reward for testing it thoroughly.
10fps 480p q6 seemed to go pretty well
Hop
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: [EOS/DEMO] Animation Quality Test

Post by fapnip »

Hopper725 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:16 am 10fps 480p q6 seemed to go pretty well
Thanks! Any issues with the others?

BTW: There's another animation you can see once you test all others. Let me know if it works. (You way want headphones.)
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
I am a: Switch

Post by Roblsforbobls »

fapnip wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:22 am
https://milovana.com/webteases/showtease.php?id=53783

There's a little reward for testing it thoroughly. Blake will know when you do.
I tried to estimate the time it took to load with a stopwatch.

6 fps - 420 - q:8 loaded ~ 0.78-0.83 seconds; length ~ 40.5 seconds including load time
8 fps - 480 - q:8 loaded ~ 0.85-0.90 seconds; length ~ 40.5 seconds including load time
8 fps - 480 - q:6 loaded ~ 0.85-0.90 seconds; length ~ 40.5 seconds including load time
10 fps - 480 - q:10 loaded ~1.00-1.05 seconds; length ~ 40.5 seconds including load time
10 fps - 480 - q:6 loaded ~ 1.00-1.05 seconds; length ~ 40.5 seconds including load time

Aside from the fps I'm not really sure what is different between all of these...?
Upon closer inspection, q:10 looked a little fuzzier than q:6 but I could just be imagining it. Anyways they all worked well without noticeable slowdowns/speedups or lags.
I was suprised that they were all the same length because the 6 fps felt longer when watching without a timer. I liked the ones with 10 fps the best and think I'd like even more frames (though that is definitely a lot of images!)

Audio at the end was synced up really well! Did you do anything special to make it line up like that?
badjano
Explorer
Explorer
Dom/me(s): ankh

Post by badjano »

10fps - 480 -q:6 was the best for me, I also noticed q:10 looking fuzzier.
The last animation audio was in sync and I think it looked even better.
Nice work!
tr0gd0r
Explorer
Explorer

Post by tr0gd0r »

No problems here, Chromium on Linux.

Didn't really notice any difference in loading time between any of them. The last one (480p 10fps q:6) definitely looks the best.
Thamrill
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Submissive

Post by Thamrill »

10 fps q6 looks very good, 6 fps has definetely a style.

My greatest issue is the constantly changing background color, which gets pretty annoying

Cheers
~Thamrill

ksmithucla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ksmithucla »

10 fps - 480p - q:6 worked great! q:10 had some weird blockiness that wasn't present in q:6. The rest were fine, but each increase in fps got better imo. And the animation at the end played in sync! Amazing tech you've built!
Vicissitudo
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Vicissitudo »

10fps - 480p - q:6

That one is the best looking one.
hiddengenie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hiddengenie »

All worked for me - the 4 is fuzzier but other than that there was little diffrence. Playback started instantly.

The bonus worked fine as well - no issues with sound or stuttering.
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

Roblsforbobls wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:24 am Aside from the fps I'm not really sure what is different between all of these...?
Thank you for your thorough testing results!

The resolution (420 vs 480) and compression quality factor (q:6,q:8,q:10 -- lower number = better quality) are the main differences. Higher quality (q + resolution) + number of frames (fps + duration) = longer load times and larger amount for the browser to buffer in memory before playing each animation. I'm trying to see what I can get away with, without causing too many problems for lower end devices and slower internet connections.
Roblsforbobls wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:24 amI liked the ones with 10 fps the best and think I'd like even more frames (though that is definitely a lot of images!)
Unfortunately, 10fps is probably near the max. Lower end systems may even struggle with that.

The number of images needed to be hosted by Milovana is also a limiting factor. (Hopefully its hosting plan has an exceptionally high inode limit.)

The main technical limit is the background color calculation that Eos does for each image. It's fairly CPU intensive, and unfortunately there's no way to shut it off, yet.
Roblsforbobls wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:24 am Audio at the end was synced up really well! Did you do anything special to make it line up like that?
Other than pre-loading the audio so it can be played right when the animation start time is calculated, no. The sync is a natural byproduct of the more accurate framerate timing.
badjano wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:58 am 10fps - 480 -q:6 was the best for me, I also noticed q:10 looking fuzzier.
The last animation audio was in sync and I think it looked even better.
Nice work!
Thanks!
tr0gd0r wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:50 am No problems here, Chromium on Linux.

Didn't really notice any difference in loading time between any of them. The last one (480p 10fps q:6) definitely looks the best.
Thank you!
Thamrill wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:46 am 10 fps q6 looks very good, 6 fps has definetely a style.
Thanks!
Thamrill wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:46 am My greatest issue is the constantly changing background color, which gets pretty annoying
Understood. I wish there was a way to shut that off -- even when not animating. It consumes a huge amount of CPU time.
ksmithucla wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:04 am 10 fps - 480p - q:6 worked great! q:10 had some weird blockiness that wasn't present in q:6. The rest were fine, but each increase in fps got better imo. And the animation at the end played in sync! Amazing tech you've built!
Thank you! I guess lower than 10fps is universally noticeable.
Vicissitudo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:23 pm 10fps - 480p - q:6

That one is the best looking one.
Thanks. Seems that 10fps q:6 is the clear winner.
hiddengenie wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:46 pm All worked for me - the 4 is fuzzier but other than that there was little diffrence. Playback started instantly.

The bonus worked fine as well - no issues with sound or stuttering.
Thanks!!

Thanks again to all of you that tested and reported!

More reports would certainly be appreciated -- especially those that have run into any issues.

Note:
I've updated the tease with another "bonus" animation, available under "more" after you've completed the first "bonus". This animation plays by chaining multiple[**] shorter animation and audio segments, with slightly higher resolution, together. I'd like to know how annoying the glitches at the segment seam points (page changes) are.

[**] The first "bonus" animation is actually made from multiple animation segments as well, but its seam point is right at a scene cut, so not as noticeable.
pinksly
Explorer
Explorer

Post by pinksly »

Hello, I tried the new demo, with a samsung A52, all the animations work. I like the two 10 fps but I prefer the 10fps 480p q6 . For the audio bonus, audio glitches are not that common and I didn't mind at all. the only thing that bothers me is that for some fps options, the background color of the webtease changes much faster from color so it's a bit distracting. (I'm going to replay it and edit my message to say which ones do this)

Edit : eventually they all do that. but it is from the 1st change of camera angle that it starts to change color more frequently but returned to the zoom of the breasts, it becomes rapid change, it is what I like less so I do not know if it is possible to correct it by keeping a background color in black only for example

( if some of my sentences make less sense, sorry, i'm using a translator )
Roblsforbobls
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Asexual

Post by Roblsforbobls »

fapnip wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:33 pm Note:
I've updated the tease with another "bonus" animation, available under "more" after you've completed the first "bonus". This animation plays by chaining multiple[**] shorter animation and audio segments, with slightly higher resolution, together. I'd like to know how annoying the glitches at the segment seam points (page changes) are.
They weren't loud or distracting/annoying, and you might not notice them if you aren't listening for them. If they happen more often (and in longer animations) they might start to be distracting, though.
If you need to have seam points for audio, there are a few ways to work around them. You could have some background sounds/music that play continuously to cover them up, match the seam points with a similar break in visuals (like the ending of a scene or taking a short pause in animation playback), try to have an amount of overlap with the two audio tracks, or decrease the volume of the first to zero while also increasing the audio of the second one. For shorter animations like this, audio breaks are probably permissible as is.

Learning a lot from this demo, very nice! :yes:
bobdaman3339
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bobdaman3339 »

All of the animations ran for me with no issues at all. Load time felt about the same for each. 480p looked noticeably better than 420p. q6 looked noticeably better than q10/q8. The difference between 8fps and 10fps was negligible to me. So overall I think 8fps - 480p - q:6 seemed like the best option.

The audio synced great in the extra animations. The audio glitches were so infrequent that they were really not irritating at all. If I was not specifically listening for them, they are barely even noticeable.

Hope this helps!
Lamalas
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lamalas »

Hi fapnip,

Great initiative! Having a viable option for videos in teases would open up so much potential imo :D

With that said, here are my findings..

I first tested on my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy A72. (maybe this kinda simulates a lower end laptop or desktop) connected over 5Ghz WiFi to a 1 Gbit internet connection.

Everything appeared to load and play smoothly, well, as smoothly as 6-10 fps will get, i guess :-D Even the 10fps - 480p - q:6 loads within 3 seconds or so, which i find acceptable.

I did notice the audio go out of sync more and more as the clip progressed, so I assume my phone was struggling to keep up in this test. (the video was lagging behind)

The audio glitches happened every 8 - 10 seconds, were definitly noticable, but I think I could live with them. Do you have any idea what's causing them?

Then I moved on to my desktop PC (AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32GB 3600MTs DDR4, Nvidia GTX 1080, monitor: 48" LG CX OLED)
My PC is connected via ethernet cable to the same 1 Gbit internet connection

Ofc everything played smoothly here, I concur with earlier posts that q:6 definitly looks better than q:10. The compression was already noticable on my phone, but on a 48" monitor, the compression is REAL :lol:

I wonder if you could get away with higher resolution and more compression. In other words, keeping the bitrate about the same, what would look better? I would personally aim for at least 720p if its doable.

The audio sync this time seemed perfect, any de-sync there may have been stayed well within the brains ability to compensate.

The audio glitches on PC were way shorter and harder to notice, and sounded more like glitches (maybe between 0 - 30 ms) whereas on my phone they sounded more like short pauses ( maybe between 100 - 500 ms)

Ooh and closing remark:
The "Fine. Be that way." made me giggle :lol: