Antidepressants and sex drive

This is the place for general discussions on fetishes, sexuality and anything else. What's on your mind right now?
mu
Explorer
Explorer

Antidepressants and sex drive

Post by mu »

I've been on ADs for a while now and it has totally killed my sex drive. I used to at least get a little joy from doing a tease once or twice a week, now it's just not on my mind at all, and it saddens me greatly... Sex, or masturbating more accurately, doesn't interest me at all anymore. I know ADs are known for this, but it's pretty frustrating when the "cure" is worse than the ail. It's even kind of scary because your mind goes off and you tend to think that the effects may be permanent and you might end up impotent or something. :shudder:

Anyway, just venting, anyone here gone through this? :\'-(
srb
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Antidepressants and sex drive

Post by srb »

I suffer from depression but don't take medication for it, and that can kill your sex drive. I remember going a month once without masturbating, and not even caring really. It hurts your relationships, and your desire for a relationship as well. THere isn't a lot I have to say or advice I have to give but to let things run their course, and if at all possible, try holistic and therapy instead of antidepressants. Of course only stuff that you and your doc decide upon, don't take my advice for anything more than an anonymous guy on the internet.
Devotee
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Devotee »

excercise is known to at least partially cure depression - get a bike and ride
bobmetal
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bobmetal »

I'm on AD/SSRI's. They can kill the ability for you to orgasm. After a while though, u might be able to overcome it.
wss_italy
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wss_italy »

It's a very common consequence of serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Zolof. This effect is not permanent, but if you are chronically depressed the medications can unfortunately continue for several months.
There are some possibilities to improve your sexual life, but you have to discuss all this with your doctor.
Some antidepressant can be washed away quickly by the body, that means that it's possible to reduce or even suspend the dose for 2 days, usually in the weekend, to recover your sexual desire.
If this is not possible there also other options such sexual stimulant drugs.
Do not take any initiative by yourself, talk with your doctor always.
Antidepressant are no joke, but I desagree with you in saying that the cure is worse than the ail.
People here gave you good suggestions, try to be more active, socialize and take good care of your body.

Good luck with everything.
Last edited by wss_italy on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time."
Robin Williams
suttar
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by suttar »

I too did a long stint on SSRI Antidepressants. I found that after about 4 or 5 months on them, my sex drive came back, although achieving any results took a lot of effort. On the plus side, I was horny and could shag for hours without orgasm :-)

Kinda hard work when you fancied a quickie before work though.
The main pain with AD's is that their effects can be very subtle, they build over months and they dissipate over months, which when you are in the midst of feeling depressed can seem like several eons!

Just remember, things do get better, and looking back dont even seem that bad.
punkrngd
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by punkrngd »

yea i took AD's in high school and my first year of college, took forever to finish of but my g/f loved that. also, sex drive is closely related to blood pressure which i am on medicine for as well, take your pressure sometime and see what the results are. now im no doctor but there was his one time i was with my girl and we switched positions rapidly from laying to standing which dropped my bp tremendously and i went limp inside her! also maybe teases just arent getting you off, depressents can change sexual likes and dislikes.
mu
Explorer
Explorer

Post by mu »

Thanks for the replies guys, I suppose I'll just have to wait it out.. :-|
Alison
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Alison »

mu wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, I suppose I'll just have to wait it out.. :-|
Darling,

The answer isn't to wait it out. The answer is to talk to your doctor and tell them that the medications he is prescribing are doing a number to your sex drive.

That's where solutions can be found.

Alison
srb
Explorer
Explorer

Post by srb »

Alison wrote: Darling,

The answer isn't to wait it out. The answer is to talk to your doctor and tell them that the medications he is prescribing are doing a number to your sex drive.

That's where solutions can be found.

Alison
No offense Alison, but the meds for antidepressants are well known for killing the sexual drive. It's a side effect but most often helping a patient suffering depression is considered to be worth the issue. A doctor is going to know that it's affecting the sex drive, it's not an occasional side effect that affects a small portion of those perscribed, it's almost a given to just about everyone. it has to do with how the brain responds to sexual desire, and in general postive things, and the drug is to help the person who has a lack thereof. But due to a changing brain chemistry, it makes sexual desire dulled. Oftentimes the effects are somewhat more pronounced at first but as the body gets more accustomed to it, things can change. Being alone kind of hurts, having another person with you is going to make it more interesting for your mind, and easier for your body to do it.

Obviously discussing medical issues with a doctor is more advantageous than discussing it with a bunch of strangers on the internet. But I don't feel that his issue was asking for medical advice, but simply a vent.
Foxhawke
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Foxhawke »

srb wrote:Obviously discussing medical issues with a doctor is more advantageous than discussing it with a bunch of strangers on the internet. But I don't feel that his issue was asking for medical advice, but simply a vent.
Maybe so, but it's not like talking to his doctor is going to do him any harm. And if there is alternatives to his specific problems that may not have the same side effects, it's his doctor that will know about (having all the details as well as medical training).

Worst that could happen with bringing it up is the doctor saying "I know, it sucks, but I'm afraid there's no alternative". But not talking to the doctor sure won't improve anything. ;-)
profit princess
Explorer
Explorer

Post by profit princess »

which are you taking? read the side effects next time you pick them up at the pharmacy or check on the official website.