Eos Editor - Can't upload backup

Post all technical issues and questions here. We'll gladly help you wherever we can.
ithinkiheardsomeone
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Submissive

Eos Editor - Can't upload backup

Post by ithinkiheardsomeone »

Hi there :)
I'm currently writing a rather large Eos tease and I need to make some global changes. So I tried downloading a backup to edit in Notepad+ but I can't reupload the file: the "Verifiyng script..." progress circle freezes after a couple of seconds and then a few seconds later the whole page crashes with error code: Out of Memory. Does anybody know this issue (or maybe even a workaround)? I tried searching the forum but didn't find anything related. Sorry if I just missed it. The backup file is around 10.5 MB and I also tried reuploading the backup without editing it, so it's not likely a formatting issue (I guess). Any help would be greatly appreciated as making these changes manually in the online editor might just drive me insane lol
Best,
Jay
verynicekojak
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Eos Editor - Can't upload backup

Post by verynicekojak »

The question is, if the problem is text file itself because of some kind of limited memory buffer. Or the problem is in json validator.

If the problem is the first one, you can try to remove all trailing whitespaces from the beginning of lines. In Notepad++ regular expression for that would be:

Code: Select all

^\s+
It reduces size of my tease by 35%.

If the problem is with the server side validator then probably it will be difficult to find a workaround for that.
Thamrill
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by Thamrill »

I I remember correctly, there was a user that had the same problem, the issue was that one action had an unset value, and the validator had issues trying to load it, while the tease was still working and editable in the editor.

Probably, as the issue you face is memory is the size, even if other users (such as indyc) were able to upload scripts of more or less 15 MB.

Two things: try to upload it while having the developer console open, maybe if it finds any error you are able to see them there; share your script (or the tease preview, if the issue appears also while uploading the original script) here, so that we might try to figure out the issue.

Good luck;
Thamrill

fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

lil_cocksucker wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:38 pm the "Verifiyng script..." progress circle freezes after a couple of seconds and then a few seconds later the whole page crashes with error code: Out of Memory.
This is usually caused by Eos' validator reporting so many errors that the client side script blows up when trying to render them. I would guess that your manual edits to the JSON have introduced a large number of errors.
ithinkiheardsomeone
Explorer
Explorer

@verynicekojak
Thanks for the tip. It actually reduced the file size to 5MB lol. Unfortunately, that wasn't the root cause.

@Thamrill
Thank you for the idea with the console. It actually stopped before the crash and it looks like the console is telling me what exaclty went wrong.. I just don't really get it :D I made a screenshot; maybe you can see at a glance what's going on?
console.png
console.png (138.65 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
Otherwise, I'll have to search for that unset-value action manually. Do you mean like an IF command referencing a variable that hasn't been set yet? Stuff like that? Again, thanks so much for your help!

@fapnip
That can't be it. I've only made a few plain-text changes for testing purposes and I've already tried uploading the non-edited version.. won't work either :/
ithinkiheardsomeone
Explorer
Explorer

Okay, I feel like it's telling me the script caused 184 validation errors (which would make sense, large parts haven't been debugged yet... I just wanted to check out the offline editing to make sure I can make global changes). So do I get this right: I gotta debug it online and when it's (mainly?) error-free, I can download, edit and upload it?
Thamrill
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Thamrill »

lil_cocksucker wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:51 pm Okay, I feel like it's telling me the script caused 184 validation errors (which would make sense, large parts haven't been debugged yet... I just wanted to check out the offline editing to make sure I can make global changes). So do I get this right: I gotta debug it online and when it's (mainly?) error-free, I can download, edit and upload it?
It depends on the source of error; would you mind sharing the script? It depends on what you mean by debugging, that time I mentioned in the previous the error was simply a variable left to null; I don't know how it happened, but apparently it's possible; taking a look at the script and validating it by using a json view (such as the one in notepad++) might help find out the issue. Without access to the script it's too difficult to guess. If you prefer you can send me the preview link of the tease.
lil_cocksucker wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:35 pm Otherwise, I'll have to search for that unset-value action manually. Do you mean like an IF command referencing a variable that hasn't been set yet? Stuff like that? Again, thanks so much for your help!
More like an invalid value in the script per se, the editor doesn't test the content of the script, it simply validates the json with the expected content

fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

lil_cocksucker wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:51 pm Okay, I feel like it's telling me the script caused 184 validation errors (which would make sense, large parts haven't been debugged yet... I just wanted to check out the offline editing to make sure I can make global changes). So do I get this right: I gotta debug it online and when it's (mainly?) error-free, I can download, edit and upload it?
Best thing would be to post your JSON and a private link to your tease here or PM it if you're unwilling to let everyone see it. Depending on what the issues are, it's possible they can be resolved.

This tool can be used to scan a tease URL or JSON for some common errors, though if there are serious structural issues, it may not catch it, or may get confused:
https://codepen.io/fapnip/full/qBoZGbg

Not sure how you got 180+ validation errors in the unmodified JSON you backed up from Eos, but if you're editing while logged out, or you have connectivity issues while editing, the incremental edits the Eos editor sends up as you edit a page can mess things up if they get out of order, etc. Also, invalid page expressions in goto actions or locators in image or audio actions will trigger validation errors.
ithinkiheardsomeone
Explorer
Explorer

@Thamrill @fapnip
Okay, I have the strong feeling that all of this is way over my head. I just wanted to make the names of my regular 30-page tease variable and then discovered the IFs and THENs and now I'm sitting here with 180+ validation errors :D So I'll gladly share the preview (I mean, I'll publish it at some point anyway). TW for the content though: beast, incest... some weird stuff. Hope that's okay. And thank you guys so, so much for your (prompt) help. It's highly appreciated.

Here's the link (hope this is the right one, otherwise let me know):
---
Last edited by ithinkiheardsomeone on Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ithinkiheardsomeone
Explorer
Explorer

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I'm not done writing the tease. There's still 5 or 10 % to go, so I don't know if it makes sense checking the script now or rather after I'm done?
fapnip
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by fapnip »

lil_cocksucker wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:27 pm @Thamrill @fapnip
Okay, I have the strong feeling that all of this is way over my head. I just wanted to make the names of my regular 30-page tease variable and then discovered the IFs and THENs and now I'm sitting here with 180+ validation errors :D So I'll gladly share the preview (I mean, I'll publish it at some point anyway). TW for the content though: beast, incest... some weird stuff. Hope that's okay. And thank you guys so, so much for your (prompt) help. It's highly appreciated.

Here's the link (hope this is the right one, otherwise let me know):
https://milovana.com/webteases/showteas ... 8a76663481
So it looks like you have over 3000 align:null's in the say actions your tease. This one cleans that up:
https://milovana.com/webteases/showteas ... 7cd3f39d13
right-click -> save-link-as this link to get the JSON:
https://milovana.com/webteases/geteossc ... 7cd3f39d13

That many errors would cause the editor UI to blow up on validation like I mentioned before.

What causes those align:nulls to appear in say actions in Eos? I'm not sure, but I see it often. I've not put any time into tracking the issue down, so I could only guess.

There are a bunch of other errors in your tease (enter your tease's URL in Tease-B-Good to see them after you import the corrected version), but they shouldn't stop you from importing the above JSON.
Thamrill
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Thamrill »

fapnip wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:51 pm What causes those align:nulls to appear in say actions in Eos? I'm not sure, but I see it often. I've not put any time into tracking the issue down, so I could only guess.
I just tried it out. You can get an alignment to be null if you select an alignment and then reselect the same alignment in the say action. The selector goes to center but in the script it turns to null.

I guess we just found a bug in the editor.
lil_cocksucker wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:31 pm Oh, and I forgot to mention: I'm not done writing the tease. There's still 5 or 10 % to go, so I don't know if it makes sense checking the script now or rather after I'm done?
I'd say it's better to fix it now.

Do you remember if in your process of creating the tease you have done what I mentioned early and/or most of your say actions are created by duplicating one? Because the latter would cause the error to propagate between multiple say actions.

~Thamrill

ithinkiheardsomeone
Explorer
Explorer

fapnip wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:51 pm So it looks like you have over 3000 align:null's in the say actions your tease.
THANK. YOU. I replaced them all (wanted do do it myself so I know what to look for next time) and now I can upload it without any issues. Seriously: Thank you!
Thamrill wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:59 am Do you remember if in your process of creating the tease you have done what I mentioned early and/or most of your say actions are created by duplicating one?
I can't remember if I did that first thing (it's been half a year since I started) but it's definitely possible. And I actually copied most of the SAY actions so I could've easily propagated the error. I tried recreating it on my side and it's just as you described. So yeah, I guess that was it. A big thank you to you, too! You guys have no idea how much you helped me. :)