[Announcement] Beatmeter Generator 0.3.0

Discussion about Cock Hero and other sexy videos.

Moderator: andyp

47dahc
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Switch

Re: [Announcement] Beatmeter Generator 0.3.0

Post by 47dahc »

sdude21 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:45 pm Hello, I am very interested in creating some Cock Hero videos and would love to use Beatmeter Generator but I can't get past the very first stage, installing the program. The GitHub website says:

There is a windows installer available (64bit only) at: beatmeter-generator-x64.msi
It is larger than the platform independent build below but it contains the Java runtime as well. It should work on Windows 7 and later.

So I downloaded the .msi file, double clicked on it and other than getting a Windows security warning which I clicked past, nothing happened. I'm not totally computer illiterate, although usually I handle installing .exe files without a problem. There must be some other step to installing an .msi file so can anyone enlighten me on this? I read through a lot of this forum and on reddit and couldn't find an answer.

I'm on Windows 10 by the way. Thank you!
I just went through this today as I just had to do a reload of Windows on my computer. The .msi did exactly what you said. Since I had used it before, I had an idea of what to look for. It installs to the path:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\sklave-daniel\Beatmeter Generator
In that folder, there is beatmeter-generator.jar file. As long as you have Java installed and environment variable configured correctly, you should be good.

I however, have another issue. I can get BM Gen to start but it just hangs when I try to import a .wav file. I have the latest Java installed so I'm not sure if I need a prior Java version or if something is wrong with the .msi build.
kerkersklave
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Open to new ideas!
I am a: Slave

Post by kerkersklave »

47dahc wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:31 pm I however, have another issue. I can get BM Gen to start but it just hangs when I try to import a .wav file. I have the latest Java installed so I'm not sure if I need a prior Java version or if something is wrong with the .msi build.
Are you sure you ware importing it and not opening it as a safe file?
47dahc
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Switch

Post by 47dahc »

kerkersklave wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:34 pm
47dahc wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:31 pm I however, have another issue. I can get BM Gen to start but it just hangs when I try to import a .wav file. I have the latest Java installed so I'm not sure if I need a prior Java version or if something is wrong with the .msi build.
Are you sure you ware importing it and not opening it as a safe file?
Was just coming back here to throw myself under the bus. I was trying to open, not import. :oops:

I also downloaded the independent .jar file as well as JDK 21 and all seems to be working now. I have it on a separate drive now rather than my system drive in case my system crashes again I won't have to worry about it. No need for the .msi with the .jar file.
sdude21
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sdude21 »

It should work, I have tested in on Windows 10. But if it does not, try installing a JDK from Oracle manually and get the jar.
I just went through this today as I just had to do a reload of Windows on my computer. The .msi did exactly what you said. Since I had used it before, I had an idea of what to look for. It installs to the path:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\sklave-daniel\Beatmeter Generator
In that folder, there is beatmeter-generator.jar file. As long as you have Java installed and environment variable configured correctly, you should be good.
kerkersklave and 47dahc thank you but I could really use some additional help. First it turned out that I did not have Java installed on my laptop after all. I just assumed it was there since I seem to recall that every PC I ever owned always had it. Anyhow, I installed it, rebooted my laptop, double clicked on the .msi file and still nothing happened.

You guys mentioned two things that I wanted to ask if you could elaborate on since doing a Google search turned up nothing helpful:

"try installing a JDK from Oracle manually and get the jar" This is confusing to me because in the sklave-daniel\Beatmeter Generator folder there is a beatmeter-generator.jar file as 47dahc suggested I look for. Is there another .jar file I'm supposed to get from Oracle and if so, which one and where do I put it?

"As long as you have Java installed and environment variable configured correctly, you should be good." I can't seem to find any useful information on "environment configured correctly" so can you go into more detail on this?

Sorry if these are noob questions but as I said I am very motivated to start making some Cock Hero videos and to be honest, thought all I would have to do is download the Beatmeter Generator program, click a few buttons and I'd be up and running.

I see the guide on how to use the program on the github page but has there never been a step-by-step guide for installing the program? Or is the belief that the install should be super easy so there is no need for a step-by-step guide?
sdude21
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sdude21 »

Oops, color me stupid... I feel quite dumb.I had been trying to start the program by double clicking on the msi file but I just looked at my desk top and saw a heart shaped icon for BMG, clicked it and the program started right up. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time. I still think a step-by-step install guide would be helpful, telling noobs like me to look for the dektop icon that will launch the program.

Now I just need to learn how to use it so back to the github instructions I shall go. One thing I already don't see is how to create the little throbbing circle effect. I'm only seeing dashes right now. Are the circles included or do I get them elsewhere?
sdude21
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sdude21 »

I once again answered my own question and found the drop down menu where I can choose what I presume to be the "dots" output. I plan to try it this weekend. Wish me luck!
sdude21
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sdude21 »

I am happy to report that I finally figured out most of the basic functions of BMG and have made a few songs with CH beats. One thing I still do not understand is the "Snap" function. I see that a few others have also had questions on this with the last one getting this response:
You can use a "base" track that has regular beats matching the rhythm of a song. Then you can place beats in an other track. If you "select the track for snapping" when you place beats using the mouse they will snap to a position. You can press certain keys (see website) to snap at positions between beats like the middle to create more complicated beat patterns easily.
So I created a base track, added a "New BPM Pattern" and used "Detect BPM" to set the beats for the entire track, then I clicked on the S to activate this as a snap track.

Then I created a second track under the base track called "Beats" and clicked P, I and D on. I started adding beats and none of them snapped to any beat on the base track. They would always stay wherever I placed them.

I also tried turning off the "S" on the base track and setting it to on for the beats track and the same thing happened. And I tried adding some Common Pattern beats and same thing, they just stayed where ever I put them instead of snapping to the closest beat on the base track.

So I must be missing a step or process, or maybe I misunderstand what "snap" is supposed to do? Can anyone help with this?

By the way, I have a screen shot that shows my settings but I don't see how to upload it here.
kerkersklave
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by kerkersklave »

sdude21 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:10 pm I also tried turning off the "S" on the base track and setting it to on for the beats track and the same thing happened. And I tried adding some Common Pattern beats and same thing, they just stayed where ever I put them instead of snapping to the closest beat on the base track.
Snapping just means, that when you are moving around a beat or pattern with the mouse it will snap to those points. You can still place beats at other positions, and beats already there won't be moved.
The effect can be subtle, it might depend on the zoom level as well.
sdude21
Explorer
Explorer

Post by sdude21 »

Snapping just means, that when you are moving around a beat or pattern with the mouse it will snap to those points. You can still place beats at other positions, and beats already there won't be moved.
The effect can be subtle, it might depend on the zoom level as well.
So if I'm:
> Zoomed out quite a bit
> Have the settings I describe above
> Click on a beat with the mouse and move it around and it doesn't snap, it stays exactly where I leave it with the mouse

Why do you think that is?
kerkersklave
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by kerkersklave »

sdude21 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:24 pm Why do you think that is?
The snapping should be based on some time distance to the snapping position. If you're zoomed out too much you can probably not get close enough for it to be effective. There's a lot that could be improved about BMG.