Adult webhosting

This is the place for general discussions on fetishes, sexuality and anything else. What's on your mind right now?
Kenneth
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
I am a: Switch

Adult webhosting

Post by Kenneth »

I'm ready to launch a brand new project. It's a new approach to meeting kinksters, and it would cover all the stuff that Fetlife doesn't.

However, here's my question: does anyone know a free webhost which meets these requirements:
- preferably 1 GB web space;
- unlimited band width;
- 1 MySQL database, but it has to be a recent version (5.7.7 or higher )
- PHP 5.5 (or higher)
- has to allow adult content

I know I could just get some hosting, but I want to avoid using my real name for domain name registration etc.
The project is currently in Dutch, although it could easily be translated.

It can be either non-commercial, or if someone is willing to step up to take care of the hosting, we could discuss some premium options (as in: extra options, not limiting communication between members in any way) to cover the expenses.
Last edited by Kenneth on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
---

About CyberMistress, 2005-2011
The CM software is my intellectual property and no one is allowed to distribute it. Use it at your own risk, no support whatsoever. I do not mind the sharing of content which was created for it by 3rd party. My content however is not to be shared.
keahi
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Submissive

Re: Adult webhosting

Post by keahi »

Best free one I can think of that I have used is byethost
No ads . 1gb bandwidth myself db 1Gb storage.
I'm doing my own project at the moment and if you don't need techie ensuring 100 % uptime and a low ping you could find hosting from home is better
Thaf3z3
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by Thaf3z3 »

You can block your name/address from the domain info for like $5
Kenneth
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Kenneth »

Thaf3z3 wrote:You can block your name/address from the domain info for like $5
Hm, which registrar are you using? The ones I've used in the past, didn't have such an option.
---

The CM software is my intellectual property and no one is allowed to distribute it. Use it at your own risk, no support whatsoever. I do not mind the sharing of content which was created for it by 3rd party. My content however is not to be shared.
keahi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by keahi »

Most offer this. Called domain privacy
Don't go with go daddy or 1&1 they are terrible

But your initial question was on Web hosts not domain registrasof
Depends how your running your service many offer support for Php bit

If your running any webaps you will probably want a vps.
I'm looking at getting one for my new project
Thaf3z3
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by Thaf3z3 »

Kenneth wrote:
Thaf3z3 wrote:You can block your name/address from the domain info for like $5
Hm, which registrar are you using? The ones I've used in the past, didn't have such an option.
Go daddy has such a feature
blueman
Explorer
Explorer

Post by blueman »

The adult content allowed is going to be your biggest hangup. Most websites have some proviso in the terms of service that prohibit adult content.

When i was looking into this, believe it or not, it was easier to simply host my own. I registered the domain name (Godaddy is fine for that) with private registration, and then altered the NS entries to point to my own server. Most iterations of Windows will actually run an IIS instance, which you can then use to install PHP, SQL (either MySQL or SQL Server), etc. Most websites have modest bandwidth needs, so overhead wouldn't be high initially, and you have complete control of your server.

That's simplest terms - there's more to it than that, but it's an idea.
keahi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by keahi »

First of all don't go with go daddy you will regret it. But your choice.

I have a server at home and here is my favoured aproch to running a cheap low traffic website.

Get a efficient computer raspberry pi is perfect for small websites as it has more power than a cheap vps
The other option is to root you router as they are computers.

Next up stick apache2 on it. There is a reason big companies and the majority of the Web uses linux as servers it's because it's more efficient faster and more reliable. And easy to use after reading the right guides.

I would suggest rcp or dropbox (use copy) to easy manage your files from the net. Once apache is serving your files your website will be availlible on you lan at the pi's ip address.
Next up login to your router and port forward and external port to your webservers ip and port default 80
Now your webserver is availible via your external ip.
Next up if you don't have a static ip go look at duck dns. You can update this s domain to point at your ip with an apiece call from your we server on a loop or cron. Then set that as a cname on your registra. And your domain will run off your pi.
Kenneth
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Kenneth »

Yeah, but I'm specifically looking to not host it personally.

I'm running the test version on my laptop etc, but I'd like to have it hosted, and stay as anonymous as possible, and invest as little as necessary.

I've checked out a few hosts so far, I didn't know that some hosts offered the domain/whois privacy.
I found some decent adult hosts, but most seem to be a bit behind on MySQL versions.

Thanks for all the replies so far :)
---

keahi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by keahi »

let us know what you find, may be very useful :)
Lilly
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lilly »

Hey,

If you're looking for a "cheap" vps server look into OVH, they allow adult content (provided you make reasonable effort to stop under 18s visiting) and they're single core offering with 2GB of RAM starts at £3 (~$5 USD) a month.

http://ovh.com/
Kenneth
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Kenneth »

Just to point out: some domain extensions apparently don't allow domain/whois privacy. Seems like I live in a bad country for that one ;)
---