Time frame for chat improvements?

This is the place for general discussions on fetishes, sexuality and anything else. What's on your mind right now?
Dream_On
Chat Moderator
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Switch

Re: Time frame for chat improvements?

Post by Dream_On »

I think the point is that the camp could have been used while the new chat was being built, rather than releasing it in an unfinished and vapid form.

And like I said above a site hosted chat is bound to be more popular than an offshoot one. So popularity is irrelevant. Usability is far more pertinent, as well as a desire to improve.
The camp was not without its own problems, which due to the instability of flashchat and due to my schedule at the time I didn't have the time to work on. There were several complaints of the camp not being useable or of people getting in and not being able to change their name from the goofy default one or type anything into chat. It's not like the camp would be an upgrade over chat.

There is a desire to improve, that is what brought about the new chat in the first place. Features aren't being held out because no one gives a shit about them. They are being held out because the more that is going on with the room the harder it is to track down bugs. The disconnect bug is a major problem and needs to be fixed. I think it is pretty safe to say that this is far more usable than flashchat.

Edit: Turtle is going to be busy this weekend so I do not know if he will get around to replying to this before Monday. But I am sure he will give what feedback he is able to when he can. I do not know if/when Seraph will reply to this.
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by Banquo »

Dream_On wrote:
I think the point is that the camp could have been used while the new chat was being built, rather than releasing it in an unfinished and vapid form.

And like I said above a site hosted chat is bound to be more popular than an offshoot one. So popularity is irrelevant. Usability is far more pertinent, as well as a desire to improve.
The camp was not without its own problems, which due to the instability of flashchat and due to my schedule at the time I didn't have the time to work on. There were several complaints of the camp not being useable or of people getting in and not being able to change their name from the goofy default one or type anything into chat. It's not like the camp would be an upgrade over chat.

There is a desire to improve, that is what brought about the new chat in the first place. Features aren't being held out because no one gives a shit about them. They are being held out because the more that is going on with the room the harder it is to track down bugs. The disconnect bug is a major problem and needs to be fixed. I think it is pretty safe to say that this is far more usable than flashchat.
I think we have already discussed how the camp wasn't perfect as well as the well known problems with the flash chat. *sigh* I think it is fair to say the new chat was rushed out too early and simply isn't ready.
It has already taken over a month to solve this one issue *looks at calender* It will be interesting to see how many years it is before chat has even a tenth of the features we used to enjoy here. Clearly the need for Turtle and Seraph to be present to do any work will prove to be problematic in the quest to achieve some kind of decent chat system. And this fact does not fill me with faith that we will have a decent chat this side of haileys comet.

Banquo
:fez:
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
I am a: Dom (Male)
Sub/Slave(s): My serfs
All 2 True is head Serf

Post by les »

Am I right that the new chat works with a regular IPhone and IPad ?

I know it is easier to use on my Samsung SG2, and Motorola XOOM.
I am happy we have a stable platform
Albeit bland at the moment,
With room for some of our requested improvements.

                                          Lord Les
                                 Be careful what you wish for!

Growing OLD Is Inevitable,
          But Growing UP... Is Optional
                    OR
                              Why do I have to stop being a KID now I can afford it.

                                
                                                                                                                                                   
Dream_On
Chat Moderator

Post by Dream_On »

It should work with an Iphone or Ipad since it isn't flash based. Just checked with my Ipad and chat works.
Seriously?
Explorer
Explorer
Dom/me(s): None, but I am seeking a mistress/princess/goddess.
Sub/Slave(s): Looking.

Post by Seriously? »

I'm new, so I don't really know in what ways the current chat is failing. But from what I gather, you're moving from Flashchat which is great. From first hand experience, Flashchat arguably looks "pretty" but is a notorious resource hog. For a site that doesn't have much of a revenue stream (as far as I can tell) resource-gobbling applications are a bad thing.

As a web developer who runs a virtual company, I use IRC a bit so the current chatroom seems totally adequate. Personally, I'll take reliability over bells and whistles.

But, perhaps there is something big missing that I'm unaware of?
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Banquo »

Seriously? wrote:I'm new, so I don't really know in what ways the current chat is failing. But from what I gather, you're moving from Flashchat which is great. From first hand experience, Flashchat arguably looks "pretty" but is a notorious resource hog. For a site that doesn't have much of a revenue stream (as far as I can tell) resource-gobbling applications are a bad thing.

As a web developer who runs a virtual company, I use IRC a bit so the current chatroom seems totally adequate. Personally, I'll take reliability over bells and whistles.

But, perhaps there is something big missing that I'm unaware of?
Quite a few things are missing seriously, it feels like being taken out of the 21st century and being dumped in 6th century Cornwall.....right in the epicentre of the dark ages.

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
Seriously?
Explorer
Explorer
Dom/me(s): None, but I am seeking a mistress/princess/goddess.
Sub/Slave(s): Looking.

Post by Seriously? »

Well, based on your avatar, you should be right at home :)
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Banquo »

Seriously? wrote:Well, based on your avatar, you should be right at home :)
*coughs* well actually that costume is more 17th century..probably Italian, so renaissance....infinitely more civilised *smiles*

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
SexualChoc
Chat Moderator

Post by SexualChoc »

It is easy to complain when others are doing the work

it is even easier to complain when your not paying for a product.

All those who want to help improve chat please list credentials and how they are able to actually do so
either financials or with technical knowledge
and then commit to giving time out of their lives to the project.

considering this is your second forum thread on the issue
and you don't seem to be happy

why don't you create a viable alternative, fund it
and the offer it to us? the users of Milovana?

why don't I take my own advice? well I would have literally no idea how to use/set up chat of any kind my programming knowledge is from 1986 and I never "upgraded"
second I am financially completely broke and can not afford to take classes to educate myself on how to assist
nor can I buy an expensive node to run chat from.

I appreciate all that is being done despite my early protests and fully support those who are working as they can to make things better.

thank yo to those who are helping build.
all2true
is my other profile. see my chastity belt link :
http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16#p139016
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Banquo »

SexualChoc wrote:It is easy to complain when others are doing the work

it is even easier to complain when your not paying for a product.
Surely its easier to complain when you are paying for a service? that way people can't bemoan you for daring to criticise a free service. Besides I am not criticising the effort, just the implementation and planning.
SexualChoc wrote: All those who want to help improve chat please list credentials and how they are able to actually do so
either financials or with technical knowledge
and then commit to giving time out of their lives to the project.
I would gladly give my time to help in any way. However it is a long long time since I have done any web coding, and I fear my knowledge would be severely out of date. I was just looking for answers.
SexualChoc wrote: considering this is your second forum thread on the issue
and you don't seem to be happy

why don't you create a viable alternative, fund it
and the offer it to us? the users of Milovana?
Nope, just the one thread. I don't recall making another thread of this type. Feel free to provide a link if you can find it.
I am not offering to provide an alternative, that's not my job, just because something is provided for free doesn't mean it cannot be open for criticism. The decision to launch new chat early was a mistake pure and simple.
I also find it more than a little offensive that when someone raises a valid criticism of the site they are told by a moderator to fund a replacement. It was my belief that Milovana was a free site, and that no one person was expected to pay for anything.

Some people clearly haven't heard of constructive criticism. *sigh*

Clearly the chat needs a hell of a lot more down time to allow turtle to do the coding that is desperately needed. I'm not sure why Seraph needs to oversee him while the work is being done, just let the guy get on with it and sort things out.
SexualChoc wrote: I appreciate all that is being done despite my early protests and fully support those who are working as they can to make things better.

thank yo to those who are helping build.
Excuse me while I go and be sick. :sick:

#yes man

Banquo

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
All 2 True is head Serf

Post by les »

              @Banquo I have found the solution

                            Click This Link

                            
                                          Lord Les

                    OR

                                
                                                                                                                                                   
Banquo
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Banquo »

Hilarious Les....truly, truly, side splittingly *coughs*....well you get the idea..

Anyway I asked you this question yesterday I guess you missed it.
Banquo wrote:
les wrote:
I absolutely hated the old chat having such a restricted window.
Which made following chats with multiple attendees so damn difficult.
Despite the pretty bells and whistles appearance.
Especially for me be a looky and not touchy typist.

I for one prefer a clean uncluttered appearance as I want to concentrate on others thoughts.

Banquo

What do you think of the new chat then? Have you been using it more than you used the old one?

My Webteases
Chastity Captions
Oda
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Oda »

I don´t like the style of this discussion. Some people in here should think a little bit more before they attack Banquo. He did absolutly nothing wrong. he didn´t complain or something like that. He spoke his mind and asked some questions, which i think were good questions.

Nothing wrong with a little bit critic, as long as the work the people do gets still respect from that person and banq said that at least 3-4 times now. Still the whole time some new people come up and say the same thing, that he can´t say that, because it is for free and the people do it voluntarily. What is very nice for them and they truly deserve respect for that, but i don´t see, why banq isn´t allowed to say, that it might have been a bad idea to launch it that soon.

So please don´t attack Banq so much, he did nothing wrong.
"That will never happen."/ Quote (and most amazing words i ever heard) by an very close friend of mine
les
Experimentor
Experimentor
All 2 True is head Serf

Post by les »

Banquo wrote:

Banquo

What do you think of the new chat then? Have you been using it more than you used the old one?

Yes I have but with my medical and family constraints not as much in previous years.
I tend to chat one on one in yahoo with my serfs.
With my name I do get hit by subs wanting me to tease them if I am just waiting for a particular person, in milo chat.
          I am keeping an eye on the developments and as
                     The Actress said to the Bishop
                               "I will suck it and see"
                                          Lord Les

                    OR

                                
                                                                                                                                                   
AngelAnna837
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by AngelAnna837 »

Wow, its been a while .....

I have been watching this whole situation with interest for a while now... so here are a few observations from an out-side looking in...

1). Communication seems to be lacking....
Banquo wrote:It has been well over a month now since the new chat became active. We have been promised untold amounts of improvements. Whilst I appreciate the amount of work going into it. The chat still is far from perfect. And not something I really enjoy using.
Maybe a weekly update on where the updates stand? On whats being working on? Something just to show people the work is being done. One of the unfortunate things about Milo is people put in incredible amount of work and tend only to here when it goes wrong...

2). Defencivness....
Banquo wrote:Some people clearly haven't heard of constructive criticism. *sigh*

I couldn't agree more with this. I am not going to name names but I think its really clear that because of certain friendships and relationships that some people are far more ready to jump to the defensive because they feel there friends are being criticized when that's not whats happening at all. At the end of it all, a promise is a promise and because of the lack of communication people are going to start asking for answer when they don't see the promises being delivered. (as I said, i have no doubt there is a massive amount of work going on, but because it can't been seen...its almost as if it isn't).
So my advise would be to basically just calm down and stop treating each negative comment as if someone had just slapped you in the face...and instead listen to what people there are telling you they want... updates...time scales.... for the sake of a post or two or a little additional information in the down time posts?

As someone looking in, these things seem obvious to me...

:unsure: