Debate?

This is the place for general discussions on fetishes, sexuality and anything else. What's on your mind right now?
shell
Experimentor
Experimentor

Re: Debate?

Post by shell »

Well....I'm going to try and respond to things said to or about me......remember, I do not debate well at all.....so consider this more as, me posting my thoughts. *Smile*

Les wrote:
Remember the "World Cup"
You can't play "Soccer" either.
Uh huh! I can so play soccer, just not well. *lol*

Handcuffed wrote:
The existence of gods is an inherently unfalsifiable claim; if we search the entire universe and do not find a god, theists could still argue that gods are invisible, that they transcend time and space, etc. However, if you were given sufficient logical evidence against a deity, would it overpower your faith? Do you have faith so complete that you would, for example, sacrifice Isaac if you were in Abraham's position, knowing that God would intervene?
As a matter of fact I do have faith that complete. But I can take it a step better than that.....I have faith in the God that I serve, that if he asked me to sacrifice my son, my 15 year old son, that I would do as I was told, KNOWING that God would provide the lamb to sacrifice instead of my son.

For what ever reason, God needed to prove to Abraham, something that Abraham didn't know about himself, just how much God loved him. Before that, I’m not so sure that Abraham really understood.
I also believe that in that moment, is when the covenant between God and Abraham took place.
After Jesus came, died and rose from the dead a new covenant was made between God and man.

I can however even bump it up one more step. I know, that I know, that I know, that the God that I serve will never ask me to do something like that. He loves me and would not want me to go through the pain of something like that. I know that he loves me, that we have a covenant together.

I placed my trust in God and became one of his children April 22, 1979. But it wasn’t until January 18, 2009, that I understood the depth of his love and we became friends. Before then, sure, there was some doubt. But now….nope….doubt shall never cross my path again. *smile*
The point I was making implicitly was that there is no certain way for Shell to ever discard her faith, because it is an unfalsifiable claim. On the other hand, show an atheist a god, and, assuming he/she believes that it is real, atheism has been falsified.
I would like to respond to this...but unfortunately it went right over my head. *soft smile*

Alliteration wrote:
You're getting better at it :)
Thank you, thank you very much! *giggling* Did you hear me?...I sounded just like Elvis! *giggling*
This sounds fun, but...honestly, I think it might bias me. There's a chance I would subconsciously lose on purpose, so I get something to do :P
*face palms* *laughing* How did I KNOW you would look at it that way? *lol*
Alliteration
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Switch

Post by Alliteration »

shell wrote:I can however even bump it up one more step. I know, that I know, that I know, that the God that I serve will never ask me to do something like that. He loves me and would not want me to go through the pain of something like that. I know that he loves me, that we have a covenant together.
This. Exactly this. :clap2:
Thank you, thank you very much! *giggling* Did you hear me?...I sounded just like Elvis! *giggling*
whacker44
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by whacker44 »

you were one of the answers in this morning's cryptic crossword allit
esolo
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by esolo »

I'd love to see the logs from the debate! Who won?
All Knowledge is Worth Having, and That Which Yields is Not Always Weak.
DoxysTurtle
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Submissive

Post by DoxysTurtle »

I'd like to apologize to everyone hoping to see the logs. I've had an extremely hectic personal life lately, and Alliteration and I haven't debated yet. This is completely my fault and my delay, and Alliteration has been nothing short of the perfect gentleman regarding these delays.
Handcuffed
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Handcuffed »

shell wrote:Well....I'm going to try and respond to things said to or about me......remember, I do not debate well at all.....so consider this more as, me posting my thoughts. *Smile*

Les wrote:
Remember the "World Cup"
You can't play "Soccer" either.
Uh huh! I can so play soccer, just not well. *lol*

Handcuffed wrote:
The existence of gods is an inherently unfalsifiable claim; if we search the entire universe and do not find a god, theists could still argue that gods are invisible, that they transcend time and space, etc. However, if you were given sufficient logical evidence against a deity, would it overpower your faith? Do you have faith so complete that you would, for example, sacrifice Isaac if you were in Abraham's position, knowing that God would intervene?
As a matter of fact I do have faith that complete. But I can take it a step better than that.....I have faith in the God that I serve, that if he asked me to sacrifice my son, my 15 year old son, that I would do as I was told, KNOWING that God would provide the lamb to sacrifice instead of my son.

For what ever reason, God needed to prove to Abraham, something that Abraham didn't know about himself, just how much God loved him. Before that, I’m not so sure that Abraham really understood.
I also believe that in that moment, is when the covenant between God and Abraham took place.
After Jesus came, died and rose from the dead a new covenant was made between God and man.

I can however even bump it up one more step. I know, that I know, that I know, that the God that I serve will never ask me to do something like that. He loves me and would not want me to go through the pain of something like that. I know that he loves me, that we have a covenant together.

I placed my trust in God and became one of his children April 22, 1979. But it wasn’t until January 18, 2009, that I understood the depth of his love and we became friends. Before then, sure, there was some doubt. But now….nope….doubt shall never cross my path again. *smile*
Thanks for answering. Very interesting.
The point I was making implicitly was that there is no certain way for Shell to ever discard her faith, because it is an unfalsifiable claim. On the other hand, show an atheist a god, and, assuming he/she believes that it is real, atheism has been falsified.
I would like to respond to this...but unfortunately it went right over my head. *soft smile*
What I meant was that there is no way to ever disprove faith in a god, but there is a way to disprove atheism: showing a god to an atheist. That is supposing a god can ever be perceived through the senses.
Alliteration
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Alliteration »

Handcuffed wrote: What I meant was that there is no way to ever disprove faith in a god, but there is a way to disprove atheism: showing a god to an atheist. That is supposing a god can ever be perceived through the senses.
If by "disprove", you mean that it cannot be shown that faith does not justify belief, then it sounds like you must think that it does.
SissyTashi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by SissyTashi »

Is it too late to open up a new topic of debate? I myself am very burned on "Religion/faith/atheism".