Chatlogs in the forum?

You can find important news and current events here.

Should this become a rule in these forums?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:18 pm

Yes
68%
No
18%
Don't care
15%

Total votes: 40

seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Chatlogs in the forum?

Post by seraph0x »

Should users be allowed to post chatlogs in the forums?

Now, first of all, it's certainly not very nice for people to post private chats publicly. But the question is should we moderators make it a rule to delete such posts?

So here is the rule:

"Any chatlog that is posted to the forums without the permission of every person cited in it, can be deleted by any moderator without prior notice. If there is an explicit complaint by one of the persons cited in it, the moderators must delete it. The deletion may include the post the chatlog was cited in, or any responses to that post for practical reasons."

Yay or nay?

If you're basically in favor of the issue, but not in this particular wording, please vote 'No' and post your suggestion for a better wording in this thread.

The rule will be enacted if more users vote "Yes" than "No".
SomeOne
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: Chatlogs in the forum?

Post by SomeOne »

slavewanky, do you really think your post is better than posting chat logs?
Seraphox: The wording is good, though it might be difficult to see if all persons involved agreed to posting.

regards,
SomeOne
blue_down_under
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by blue_down_under »

I think something that may be being forgotten here, is that the chat is not the place for private communication, often there are quite a few people in there, so nothing is being said privately, not to mention the fact that anybody (and I mean that quite literally) can join the chat and say they are anybody (again, literally), so there aren't any expectations for what you say in there to be private, and we should just hope people don't act like malicious idiots.

However, since we can't always rely on people to behave rationally, I'd go for a rewrite of the rule to this:

(Milovana / the moderators / whatever you want to call it) reserve the right to delete or edit accordinly, any post which contains material said by another member in the chatroom which we feel was made with ill-intent.

(Obviously this could be edited to read better, but I think you get the idea)

In fact, after re-reading the initial rule proposal, it's pretty good, and probably won't even affect the majority of users. However, I would remove the the last sentence which says moderators must delete the material, as it prevents the moderators from using their discretion, which is dangerous road to start down.
neo36
Experimentor
Experimentor
Dom/me(s): Little Miss Jay

Post by neo36 »

Short and sweet

No Chat log should be allowed to be posted in forums, grudges between people should be settled privately and not put on the public place anyway, it causes too much grief and drama and honestly it won't do anything constructive for the community.

My 2 cents.

Thanks Seraph0x for being open about the subject and asking for our advice.

Neo
Chico
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by Chico »

I don't use the chat room and quite frankly, I'm not interested in reading the conversation between people I don't know. I don't think that the forum should be cluttered with such drivel and for that reason alone, I support the banning of chatlogs.
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Looking like a pretty clear decision so far.

I noticed I haven't put a time limit on the poll initially. So now I put ten days, that should be a good amount so most people get can their voice in. :-)
Marke
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart
Sexual Orientation: Lesbian
I am a: Submissive

Post by Marke »

I've had some wonderful chats, but mostly it is just ... well, drivel.

Also, peoples gabby handles are not their forum handles and so things could be interesting.

I know you can do clever things with IP addresses and stuff, but, you know, like, who wants all that.

Milovana is great, but as someone said, don't lose the fact that it is a T&D site. It is not a chat service or a meeting place etc.

Having said that I've met some great people, but still, that was incidental (no offense to those great people).
I Proudly Serve Women
seraph0x
Administrator
Administrator

Post by seraph0x »

Poll ended with a positive result. So the proposed rule is now in effect. Thanks for taking the time to vote! :-)