PSA: Chat Mods and Rumors

You can find important news and current events here.
jp
Community Manager
Community Manager
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: None of the above

PSA: Chat Mods and Rumors

Post by jp »

There has been a rumor going around that chat moderators are able to see the IP of all users in chat and on the forums. I'd like to briefly and aptly put that rumor to rest. It simply isn't true.

While this information is available to staff members of the site (those with green names such as myself), Chat Moderators (those with blue names) do not have access to this information.

If anyone, whether another user of chat or even a moderator, tells you that they can see your IP address then you should report it to a staff member. You can either PM a staff member here on the forums, or in the chat. (Those with a golden star in chat are staff members. A silver star in chat is a moderator.)
Sisyphuster
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Re: PSA: Chat Mods and Rumors

Post by Sisyphuster »

Thanks for the info! Sorry for asking here but we've been trying to get attention on this for a couple months... Can you promote a couple new forum mods, specifically for the video forum? We've been having a pesky and fairly regular spam problem there for awhile and the regular reporting methods seem inadequate to handle it given how pervasive it is.

Again, sorry for the off-topic post and thanks for working in such an amazing site!
Unique
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual/Bi-Curious
I am a: Submissive

Post by Unique »

if that post is about what i believe it is, then i can assure you that not a single mod has claimed to be able to see the IP adress.
Laura
Explorer
Explorer
I am a: Switch

Post by Laura »

It's been spoken of directly to me in PM. So perhaps not said to all, but I have been told just this.
Magikk
Chat Moderator

Post by Magikk »

Actually what was said was that it had been said in pm to one person, candyman, just before he was banned for the 5th time that day in an effort to ensure he didnt try again. Other than he and yourself, who was also told it was in no way true, no person had access to this "rumor".. And if it hadnt then been passed on to other mods, nobody would ever have reason to worry about it.

Either way the point is moot since the mod in question, myself, has stepped down.
MAGIC IS AROUND
Laura
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Laura »

I know it's not true. Who knows who Candyman shared with. Who knows if they know if it's true or not. It's not the proper way to handle the situation (as even those who aren't mods can figure out), and is an intrusion on one's privacy (even though just a threat).

The number of individuals who know or do not does not make it okay, it reflects poorly on the site as a community.
Magikk
Chat Moderator

Post by Magikk »

I'm sorry Laura but the fact remains that Candyman, in any of his aliases, did not share it with anybody. It was not a rumour of any type. It was a closed comment made in a pm to yourself. And if it had stopped there, there would be no need for forum threads, psa's, or anything of the like. And as I've already indicated to a senior moderator, if our mods tried to communicate with one another directly before taking such action, it would have prevented this as well. This seems to have been a fear response to a situation that didnt actually exist because there was contention over the way candyman was dealt with in the first place. Nobody else knew, was told, or suspected any of this until the PSA was made and posted prominently on the home page.

As for invasion of privacy, well that could warrant its own thread.

And as for reflecting poorly on the community, again.. The community was never involved until this thread came about.
MAGIC IS AROUND
Laura
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Laura »

I suppose it's a matter of agreeing to disagree. It's sick to think that someone's privacy was threatened like that, by someone of the Milo team no less. Whether it made its way around or not as a rumour (Tbh I'm not sure where the 'rumour' came from as I dealt with it as a fact), no one at the site handles situations (yes, extremely annoying) ones by lying to individuals to install fear in them.

Whether it was public or not, it was poorly handled and should Candyman have decided to mention it to anyone, easily reflects poorly on the site.
DoxysTurtle
Explorer At Heart
Explorer At Heart

Post by DoxysTurtle »

I'm going to comment, as I feel that certain aspects are being blown out of proportion. Whether or not there were rumors, clearly clarification was asked for, and I believe that's all JP was attempting to give.

As it would violate the code of conduct, I'm not going to post sections of the chat log from the lounge that day, but I remember, and can see in my chat history three seperate instance spoken of by a mod, of IP address tracking, and claims to see others IP addresses (in the course of time I was in chat that day). Given the chatroom averages around 15-20 people at any time, and about 40-50 unique visitors a day, and how much many care about their privacy, especially where dilvulgence of matter related to this site can be anywhere from a large embarassment to grounds for firing (as it would have been the last place I worked).

And on that note, I have no want to fight or argue, and am leaving this thread. Appologies to anyone who disagrees with me, as I have no plans on responding.
Unique
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Unique »

I have to dosagree, turtle. It was mentioned in the chat, but never as "I can see IP-adresses". It was only mentioned as it was possible to find out. Hpw? That was never mentioned and as JP says himself he can do it. So the mod you mentioned didnt lie and did nothing wrong, turtle.
Laura
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Laura »

It was infact mentioned directly that IP addresses were being tracked. In main chat. By the mod you are referring to. Instant lie.
Last edited by Laura on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unique
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Unique »

No it isnt a lie, because what did he say? He said it is possible to see the IP adresses and that is true. He never said he has the ability to do it and that is a major difference. JP stated he can see it, so it is possible to track down the adresses.

If you cant see the difference in that, i cant help you any further.
Laura
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Laura »

The chat transcript cannot be posted in the threads as a rule. It is there and more was said. Perhaps you weren't there to see it.

Jp has access to more on the site as a team member than mods of chat do. So yes, he has the access, mods do not.
Magikk
Chat Moderator

Post by Magikk »

and is an intrusion on one's privacy (even though just a threat).
This thread needs to die or be killed off before a more open conversation regarding intrusions of privacy and the sharing of information develops. This whole thread was ludicrous and could have been avoided with a simple communication.

Let. It. Die.
MAGIC IS AROUND
Bobbel
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Bobbel »

Maybe a bit commercial wise....
But wouldnt it be smart to delete this thread from the public home page?
If i would be new to the site and read a thread like this, i would have second thoughts...