types of humiliation

This is the place for general discussions on fetishes, sexuality and anything else. What's on your mind right now?
andy wood
Explorer
Explorer
Sexual Orientation: Straight
I am a: Switch
Dom/me(s): none currently (see "About Me")
Sub/Slave(s): none currently (see "About Me")

types of humiliation

Post by andy wood »

For awhile now, I have been curious about the different types of humiliation play. I searched the Forums, and I could not find a discussion of that topic, so I decided to write one.

Types of humiliation:

1) See me as I am
What is the purpose behind humiliation play? In many cases, the sub enjoys it. One thing that people generally like is being viewed positively (“you are so smart/strong/attractive/etc.”). But another thing that people generally like is feeling understood. So, someone with a negative trait may want that trait to be pointed out during play.

2) Face your fears (and weaknesses)
In other cases, the sub may be unaware of (or unwilling to accept) some personal flaw. A submissive who is willing to do this second sort of humiliation play will be forced by the dom/me to recognize and accept personal weaknesses. Acknowledging a weakness is a necessary first step towards overcoming it.

3) symbolic power exchange
There are various ways to symbolize power exchange. Examples of this in a BDSM context include kneeling, eye contact restrictions, and special language (for the submissive “slave”; for the dom/me “Sir, Master, Mistress, Miss, Goddess, etc.”).
This also exists in vanilla life. Consider how military trainees are required to stand at attention, face forward, and use the term “Sir” when addressing a superior officer.

4) sex object
I covered this type of humiliation play in another Forums thread [“objectification, humiliation, or something else?”].
http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15519
To briefly restate it here, some people (including me, when I am submitting) find it erotic to be treated as a sex object. During this kind of play, I do not feel that I am stupid or weak… just that any of my traits that do not give sexual pleasure to the domme are irrelevant.
The flip side of being a sex object would be humiliation in which the sub is portrayed as unsexy. Classic examples include SPH (small penis humiliation) and cuckolding. This can also be combined with chastity. I examined these in more detail in another Forums post (under “What do you find arousing about chastity?”).
http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13224

5) emotional spanking
As AliceInBondageLand pointed out in another Forums thread (“Chastity & Humiliation Munch TONIGHT March 2nd San Francisco”), humiliation “activates the body’s pain centers”. So, some of the same effects that can be achieved from physical pain such as whipping or spanking, can also be achieved through humiliation.
http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15545

I do not think that the above list is complete, but I decided to go ahead and post it, to start a discussion. If I have left out anything major, please comment and let me know.
"The savage bows down to idols of wood and stone; the civilized man, to idols of flesh and blood." - George Bernard Shaw

"Before you fall for someone, be sure they are willing and able to catch you." - me