Controlling Vibrator with "Arduino UNO" Board

This is the place for all suggestions, releases and feedback regarding Milovana Hardware efforts.
Gentle_Control
Explorer
Explorer

Controlling Vibrator with "Arduino UNO" Board

Post by Gentle_Control »

Hello everyone!

I ordered a "Arduino UNO" Board today and want to explore its possibilities for OD. I have only very little hardware experience but feel comfortable writing a reasonable complex program for this board.

My first and hopefully pretty simple to achieve goal is to write a program that runs on the board and allows me to control a vibrator attached to it. I am thinking about something like a bullet vibe that can be attached to a cock-head or a clit. I would use one with different speeds and a separated control unit.

What do you think is the best or easiest way (preferable both ;)) to attach the device to the Arduino Board? I came up with different ways but I am not sure if they would work:

- Cut through the power cord between the bullet and the control unit and simply attach them to 2 pins of the Arduino. The more power I put on those pins, the faster it should go. Would something like that work?
- Cut through the power cord like in the previous idea, and put a simple on/off switch between control unit and bullet. This switch can be controlled by the Arduino. I cannot manipulate the speed with this option, so it is only a worst case fallback if everything else fails.
- Buy the motor shield that allows me to control a motor with the Arduino board. This motor can be used to manipulate the control unit physically, but this feels pretty... well... unrefined...

How would you experts do this? Maybe someone has already build such a thing with the Arduino. Maybe you can also give some recommendations for the vibrating bullet I should use, if there are huge differences. Sensors for edge-detection will be added later on, right now I am only concerned with the vibrator control.
kilobite
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Controlling Vibrator with "Arduino UNO" Board

Post by kilobite »

Gentle_Control wrote:- Cut through the power cord between the bullet and the control unit and simply attach them to 2 pins of the Arduino. The more power I put on those pins, the faster it should go. Would something like that work?
That won't work. The microcontroller will not be able to source the current needed to power the vibrator. Also, an electric motor may cause enough interference to constantly reset your mcu.
Gentle_Control wrote:- Cut through the power cord like in the previous idea, and put a simple on/off switch between control unit and bullet. This switch can be controlled by the Arduino. I cannot manipulate the speed with this option, so it is only a worst case fallback if everything else fails.
If you pick the right relay, the mcu should be able to drive it just fine. If you use a solid state relay, varying the duty cycle will control the speed just fine.
Gentle_Control wrote:- Buy the motor shield that allows me to control a motor with the Arduino board. This motor can be used to manipulate the control unit physically, but this feels pretty... well... unrefined...ed with the vibrator control.
For such a trivial motor application this would be overkill... $6 worth of parts can build you an optoisolated H-brige that will control the motor just fine. The benefit of the "shield" is that it is idiot proof.

good luck,
kilobite
o2l8
Explorer
Explorer

Post by o2l8 »

Check this out been watching it for a while now
http://forum.boundanna.net/board/viewto ... =28&t=4253
also some other interesting things on this forum.
Gentle_Control
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gentle_Control »

kilobite wrote:
Gentle_Control wrote:- Cut through the power cord between the bullet and the control unit and simply attach them to 2 pins of the Arduino. The more power I put on those pins, the faster it should go. Would something like that work?
That won't work. The microcontroller will not be able to source the current needed to power the vibrator. Also, an electric motor may cause enough interference to constantly reset your mcu.
I tried this today out of curiosity and - of course - you are right. The vibrating bullet works fine when I connect it to the 3.3V Pin of the board and freaks out when connected to the 5V pin. Trying the same with a controllable pin doesn't start the bullet at all. Damn, that would have been too easy...
kilobite wrote:
Gentle_Control wrote:- Cut through the power cord like in the previous idea, and put a simple on/off switch between control unit and bullet. This switch can be controlled by the Arduino. I cannot manipulate the speed with this option, so it is only a worst case fallback if everything else fails.
If you pick the right relay, the mcu should be able to drive it just fine. If you use a solid state relay, varying the duty cycle will control the speed just fine.
I found a relay in the starter-kit I bought, it is a SIL05-1A72-71L from MEDER electronic (http://www.meder.com/fileadmin/products ... 00071e.pdf). Would this work for this?

As far as I understand the functionality of a relay, it is used as a simple switch. This would allow me to turn the vibrator on and off, but doesn't allow me to regulate the intensity. Or is there something I am missing?
kilobite wrote:
Gentle_Control wrote:- Buy the motor shield that allows me to control a motor with the Arduino board. This motor can be used to manipulate the control unit physically, but this feels pretty... well... unrefined...ed with the vibrator control.
For such a trivial motor application this would be overkill... $6 worth of parts can build you an optoisolated H-brige that will control the motor just fine. The benefit of the "shield" is that it is idiot proof.
I found out that it is really easy to control a servo motor with the Arduino Board, no shield required. So it wouldn't be too hard to adjust the knob on the controller with such a motor. But of course I would prefer a more elegant solution, like the one with the relay.

EDIT: I have one more question. It makes no difference, if I connect a LED to the 5V pin or to an controllable pin (setting output to high). The LED shines bright in both cases. But when I try the same with the vibrator, only the 5V version works. Can anyone explain the logic behind this?
tdres
Explorer
Explorer

Post by tdres »

Gentle_Control wrote:
kilobite wrote: EDIT: I have one more question. It makes no difference, if I connect a LED to the 5V pin or to an controllable pin (setting output to high). The LED shines bright in both cases. But when I try the same with the vibrator, only the 5V version works. Can anyone explain the logic behind this?
The 5V pin is good for around 500ma. The "controllable" pins - digital PWM outputs - are only good for a few milliamps. The motor you're trying to run probably needs a few hundred milliamps. It will not work when connected directly to an output pin. To drive a larger load than the output pin can handle, hook a transistor to the output and hook the load to the transistor.

An easy off-the-shelf solution is to use a motor control shield. The shield will provide a separate power input too, so you you're not limited to the 500ma available on the Arduino's +5V rail.
Gentle_Control
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gentle_Control »

I can't believe it, but it works! I understand now that voltage isn't the only important factor in a circuit...

Thanks to all of you (and some other useful postings on this forum) I finally have a computer-controlled vibrator =). If anyone is interested, I can provide some information about the setup and the code I write for it.

What works already:
- A "random" stimulation program that should keep you aroused but doesn't allow you to cum, inspired by http://www.milovana.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3424. No sensors yet, so this relies on playing it save, which will not involve edging usually.
- A freely programmable stimulation sequence. You tell the program an arbitrary sequence (length and intensity) and it will play it back to you with the vibrator. You can use a teasing-video for example and create a sequence that fits the teasing exactly. Afterwards attach the vibrator where you like it and start the video at the same time as the program. Feel what the actor feels :). And if you are daring, you can also take a POT-video and try to hold back... At the moment the sequence must be hard coded in the program running on the Arduino board..

What I want to implement later:
- Adding on communication with a software tool running on the PC. That way you can really control the vibrator interactively. At the moment any change means you need to change the code on the Arduino board with is a little cumbersome. This will be easy to implement in Python or any other Language that has easy access to the serial port.
- Once the communication works, remote control of the vibrator over the internet will be easy, although some hours of work. This will make remote teasing possible.
- Some sensors to detect the level of arousal. Maybe a HRM will be a good start, although a little expensive. I will add this later, after the programming is done.

I don't have too much time to work on this project and read the forum, so please forgive me if my response is delayed for several days from time to time.
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor
Sexual Orientation: Straight

Post by Nezhul »

Hmm, I read your post, as well as links in the other topic, and I have to answer - does it really work? Can you make a vibration pattern that'll keep you close yet won't allow actual orgasm, yet without any sensor of arousal detection?

And also I'd be very interested in schematics and code.
Check out my new site, and read SexTV story there!
Also I have the DARK section that features feature Erotic Horror.
I also launched a SubscribeStar recently! Please come check it out!
Updated whenever I feel like it. :wave: :love:
tdres
Explorer
Explorer

Post by tdres »

Nezhul wrote:Can you make a vibration pattern that'll keep you close yet won't allow actual orgasm, yet without any sensor of arousal detection?
I'd wager the answer is "no" except under very controlled circumstances.
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Nezhul »

Well yes, so I thought. But It's just that this theme was mentioned in the links, and I wanted to make it clearer.

To Threadstarter: I think a lot of people here would appreciate if you'd bother posting step-by-step tutorial on how to make one, with the lists of all used materials and tools. Or maybe even pictures.

As for sensors that's a bit tricky. There was s topic here about Penile Plethysmograph - A lot of ideas there too. Every one of them with a flaw.
You see, as the heartbeat sensor would indeed track basic arousal, I guess it's nowhere near accurate, because the rythms of our heart is not constant, and may slightly change even during one session. Say in the start your heart gives 90 bps on the "edge" level arousal, and five minutes later it may give 95. Numbers are fictional tho. Just an example.
As for tracking contractions - that seems like a bit too late for me, although I didn't try. As for that part I believe the best idea was infrared sensor at the base of the penis. Tracks heartbeat also, but the contraction gives much higher peak in readings. ;-)
Gentle_Control
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gentle_Control »

Without any sensors I don't think it is possible to keep you near or on the edge constantly. The pattern I have implemented right now keeps me hard constantly and doesn't allow me to cum, but that's all at the moment.

I am currently working on another algorithm that optimizes itself while running. It starts out with the same pattern I am using in the basic version already, although the upper barrier is removed. That way it is very likely that I will hit the edge sooner or later. When I do I must press a button on the PC and the vibrator stops for about 10 seconds before it continues, allowing me to cool down. It remembers the level of intensity that was required to make me press the button and will slow down the next time this level would be reached automatically. If I have to press the button again, it will give me a break and remember the new value, which must be lower than the last one (because it doesn't go higher than the last one). That way it adjusts to my edge-level and gets me close but not over it. Once it has learned the maximum I can take, it shouldn't require any more interaction and do its magic on its own.

It is quite possible that the stimulation threshold for an edge will increase over time and the edge will not be reached that easily after a while. The algorithm does not know that and would supply too little stimulation over time and the game will get boring. To avoid this, it would make sense to increase the current upper barrier slowly over time and only reset it once you have to hit the edge button again. It will require some testing to see if this is even necessary.

This algorithm can be optimized and adjusted to whatever game you want to play. One example would be a game where you have to edge 5 times without permission to cum - you have to press the button 5 times and the program remembers how much stimulation was required each time. After a short break, you are granted permission but the vibrator will only supply a maximum of 80 percent of the stimulation required for the easiest of the 5 edges. Will you be able to cum from that?

It would also be easy to build a device that automatically ruins orgasms. Without learning, it can simply increase stimulation to a certain level, and then stop for 20 seconds. Then again and again, each time to a little higher level. When you finally reach enough stimulation to cum, it is very likely that the device will stop almost at the same time. Or you can use the learning algorithm again. Edge 5 times and let the program track the required stimulation. After a short break it continues with the random pattern until the average stimulation required for the first 5 edges is reached... plus a little more... and then stops. If it doesn't work, it can do the same over and over, increasing the stimulation maximum a little each time.

Similar ideas? Please post them, I will try to implement those ideas that sound interesting and of course possible. I won't be able to supply any more info before next weekend because of time issues, but then I can post a guide on how to build this thing, code for the Arduino and some games written in Python.

One of my main problems at the moment is keeping this damn vibrating bullet firmly in place on the sweet spot of my cock. Rubber bands work as long is there is no lubrication, but once it gets slippery, the bullet starts to wander around like crazy... how do you guys do that?
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Nezhul »

Never tryed, but there was a suggestion a short while ago in one of the teases to wear condom, and fix the vibe to the condom with cellotape.

Still very looking forward on schematix and tutorial on how to build one. I'm a programmer but I know shit about building hardware.

The idea of the button is good. I thought of it myself instead of a sensor. After all, pressing a button is not hard. In perspective it may even be a physical button connected to audrino.
Computer games? Well, once the device is ready and tested, you may write plenty. You may even make an interactive teases with pictures, texts or videos (running from your pc) that are shown along. I could do that too.

I hope once you figure all out you would post instruction and opensource of anything you'v written, so the community can enjoy it and develop it further. :wave:
pussteaser
Curious Newbie
Curious Newbie

Post by pussteaser »

Hi,
my first post in this thread, but i did start a related thread a while ago 'Automatic vibrator to control orgasm' or something like that title, I expect you have seen it.
It's good that someone else is actively building and trying out stuff like this.

I haven't done any hw or sw aimed at stimulating a cock (it's been focussed on females) but I have some ideas that could apply in your self-stim area.

As you have found, the main missing link that would let us build the perfect tease device for guys or gals is some way of getting good bio-feedback. That's hard, so we have to find alernatives that give us a usable alernative. As you are self-stimulating, you have options that I didn't have with a device designed to stimulate another person, because you know exactly what's going on. Your button idea is a good example, and i like the way you have used it as a 'cruise control' setting to set the maximum. That's neat.

As you said though, you may end up with too low a setting after a while.

So here's an idea borrowed from someone else I read about who said he did this with his girlfriend. First I'll recount what he did, then explore whether we can adapt this idea for your self stim device.
This guy would sometimes play an orgasm game with his girl, where he would masturbate her until she was close, and then instruct her to say 'STOP' when she was on the edge. He would take her to edge a few times like that without letting her cum. Then after a few of those he would change to asking her questions; as long as she anwered without hesitation and correctly, he would keep masturbating. If she hesitated or answered wrongly he would stop for 10 seconds before contuining. Suitable questions would be arithmetic: six eights? nine fours? etc From his description it seems that a girl's ability to answer correctly goes out the window when she desperately trying to get off :) Sometimes it would take her a frustratingly long time to be able to cum.
OK, how could this be applied to your self stim vibe?
Well you have an arduino and a button. Could you also add a laptop to the system? I assume you already have one to downoad the code to it. Setting aside for the moment how its connected, let's assume you have a keyboard and screen as well. You're in cruise mode and the vibe is taking you up to another peak. Instead of stopping as before, the laptop goes beep and you have a couple of seconds to type in an answer before the vibe stops. Correct answer and it carries on. Maybe changes the sexy pic its showing too.

Just a thought.
tdres
Explorer
Explorer

Post by tdres »

Nezhul wrote:e.
As for tracking contractions - that seems like a bit too late for me, although I didn't try. As for that part I believe the best idea was infrared sensor at the base of the penis. Tracks heartbeat also, but the contraction gives much higher peak in readings. ;-)
I think in this application you'd want to be looking at the slow, rhythmic, low frequency rectal pressure fluctuations which occur during the plateau phase. These increase in duration and intensity with arousal and are distinct from the sharp, higher frequency contractions that occur during orgasm.
aimauanca
Explorer
Explorer

Post by aimauanca »

Coincidentally I had heard about the arduino board around the same time as the original post, and I was immediately curious if it could be useful to "our purposes".
Two questions
1. can I control the board (and hence the masturbatory device) from a PC? Via USB or serial? From java?
2. what male masturbatory devices are there that could be conceivably controlled? Does taping a vibrating bullet to the head of your prick really work? Can it make you cum? Only if the latter is true can the "ideal" controlling program take you to the edge so many times.

If both (1) and (2) have positive answers, then I can imagine (much as previous posters) a program that shows random sexy images (maybe downloaded randomly from the milovana webteases). There'll be a few buttons - "i'm close", "i'm edging" "i've cum". Then the program can do what it likes. Like wanking just a little too long after the "i'm edging" button is pressed, ...
Some of this I can do from java, but I don't know the answer to (1) yet.
Nezhul
Experimentor
Experimentor

Post by Nezhul »

yes, both true.

As for devices a bullet vibrator is like the only option.
There's this cool Cobra Libre vibe that is very good stimulator, but it's waterproof and you'll have to unscrew it and then do some electronics to have a controlling wire. Given it's not cheap, it's pretty troublesome.

There are a few male auto amsturbators like Priceless 2 + fleshlight or spingasm.
They all can in theory may be controlled. But it's hard. The only easy way is a bullet vibrator that goes on a wire with some control pannel.

To author: You may as well add different patterns to vibration, so the intensity would vary repedily. :look: